Wednesday 8 July 2015

Simplicity 1430 Coral Tank goes to Yorkshire

I've just returned from a few days working away in Leeds and Wakefield (back to my Yorkshire roots!) and just had time to finish this tank top to take with me.  This has been in the pipeline since I completed the previous acid yellow version here.  It's from Simplicity 1430 (which also features a jacket and shift dress) and this top features a keyhole detail at the front neck, a button and loop fastening at the back and side splits in the bottom hem.  




It's a really versatile little top, easy to wear and looks a little more put together than a t-shirt over jeans or capri pants.  Like the yellow version, this coral colour is also a good pairing for neutrals and denim, or can contrast very nicely with cornflower blue or khaki green.  I found a perfectly matching, vintage button here for the fastening.  The fabric is a cotton and polyester mix, which is light for the summer, washable and easy to care for and also relatively crease free.  



I added two little bra strap holders this time as the shoulder straps are cut quite high and I found that my bra straps sit naturally a little lower on the shoulder.  This has just required the addition of two strips of fabric (made in the same way as the loop fastening at the back), sewn in at one side of the shoulder strap on this inside of the garment and then with a popper to secure the other end.  I could of course have made the shoulder straps bigger to give more coverage, but I do like the shape as it is and the straps holders are an easy solution




This top has been good option for packing and travelling, which I seem to have been doing quite a lot of lately.  Long, slow train journeys on melting tracks and overloaded air conditioning as well as hotel accommodation of questionable quality (no iron, no air con, no hanging anything in the shower to steam out the creases out due to non-removable/non-steal-able hangers) has meant that a capsule wardrobe of garments that can take a fair bit of abuse has been essential.  





I'm pairing it here with an unlined, lightweight jacket that has a similar colour in the print.  There are denim neck, sleeve and front edgings with metal studs, a great find from Peacocks last year (2014).  Jeans are H&M, studded sunglasses from New Look, blue watch is Casio.



  

I spent most of my time away attending meetings to draft our our plans for work going forward this year.  Although this did mean quite a lot of time holed up in meeting rooms while the sun was blazing outside, I was fortunate enough to get out and about see some art work, meet some great organisations and stretch my legs in some beautiful Yorkshire countryside.  We spent some of our time at Yorkshire Sculpture Park on the last day of our trip - no outfit shots on location this time due to the hectic schedule!  It's been a while since I visited this wonderful place and wander through the rolling landscape discovering works of art and sculpture.  Here's a quick selfie of me outside the chapel gallery and Ai Weiwei's parched looking tree. 



The sculpture packed a big punch in contrast to the architecture of the chapel.  Check out the colour of those steel branches, fiery orange in the afternoon heat.  




The setting at YSP is on an epic scale, with a whole valley to explore and discover.  However the contemporary architecture and landscaping around the gallery is also breathtaking and I particularly love the shapes created by some very satisfying lines.  



Those high contrast stone walls, steel handrails and deep shadows.



Yew hedge, steps and Henry Moore in perfect harmony.  




No comments:

Post a Comment